Wednesday, April 22, 2009

April 21, 2009

Well, hello again.

Hard to believe another week gone by (do I say that every letter?). I just can't believe how fast time flies here.

Elder Romero is doing well. He went to the Temple today, so apparently he's off health clinic arrest. It will be good to have him back in class. It was lonely with only 3 of us at a time (one of the Elders had to stay with him while the other came to class with us sisters). I must admit though, those Elders had the best-looking companions they'll ever have these past few weeks.

Korean story: We had Brother Im (a native Korean) substituting for us the other day and he got a little confused when I pronounced my Konglish version of Ogilvie. Apparently "Gull-bee" is a type od dried fish, so he told me everyone would assume my name was "Oh! Dried Yellow Corvina!" Gotta love it! :)

Another Korean Story: My companion and I were doing some SYL (speak your language) and we picked the topic of games. We were telling each other our favorite games in Korean. Well, I told her that my family had huge Oh Nuts tournaments. The word "oh" in Korean can mean the number 5, so she thought I was talking about 5 Nuts and couldn't figure out what in the world 5 nuts had to do with anything. I thought it was amusing.

Mom, they sell a water bottle that has a purifier here that I think you might like. You can collect water from a stream and it will make it safe to drink. I think it's $35 but I don't know if that's before or after my 40% missionary discount. If you want one let me know and I'll mail it home with all the other stuff I brought and shouldn't have. You might want to go to camping stores and see if they are any cheaper than here. Meh. I just thought of you when they told us about it (it's designed for missionaries going to third-world countries).

Mom, I don't have anyone I want you to forward my letters to because I told most people to check the blog. I wanted to avoid making you send it to millions (oh aren't I so sure people like me) of people every week. If people ask you for it you can forward it, but most people will be content to check the blog. Thanks for asking, though.

Hmm, 12 minutes left and I ran out of notes. That never happens. Of course, the longer I'm here the less notes I take about things to write home. Just getting more involved in the work, I suppose.

Um, last week Elder Holland came. You haven't seen Elder Holland talk until you've seen Elder Holland talk to missionaries. I thought the podium was going to break into splinters under his pounding. The whole room was on fire and we were afraid to breath. But boy oh boy did he get us pumped up and aware of our duty as God's agents. I've never seen someone speak with such power and indignation before. It was very powerful. He got me really excited for the wonderful things God can do with me on my mission if I allow myself to become an instrument in His hands. This Gospel is true and we're gonna take it to all the world! Yay us! Yay God :)!

I saw Elder Larson (Elder Larson's twin) who had the collapsed lung today. He's been medically cleared and will be heading out next week, probably never to play head, shoulders, knees and toes ever again :).

Um, I hereby declare that if any more of my roommates get engaged I desire a dearelder within 24 hours. You all are killing me. I do see Elder Kenison quite frequently, though. He leaves the day after I do. That's weird.

I'm getting more and more excited to go to Korea every day, and I'm realizing that I know less and less Korean every day :). It is coming.Yay for beautiful weather! I can't believe how gorgeous it is! Our class has a window now, too, so we can almost enjoy it! :) It's good.

Anyway, time is blinking away fast!

Much love to all! Thanks for all the love and support!

Love,
Rachel

P.S. Thanks for the Easter packages!

No comments:

Post a Comment