Monday, December 28, 2009

Happy New Year!!

Hello, Alice, and welcome to Wonderland!

I decided that I had to start off with a ridiculously sci-fi quote that only dorks like me would understand, and that's the first that came to mind. Extra points to the first person who knows what movie I'm actually quoting from (hint: it's NOT Alice in Wonderland).

Talking to everyone was grand. It was actually kind of surreal, to be honest. Chalene is right, the calls do kind of disrupt the flow of things and they are definitely more for the family than for the missionary, but I enjoyed it. It was crazy to talk to Benjamin. He speaks English SO WELL!!! :) Most of the distraction came when I lost my phone card in my wallet that I left in a taxi on Christmas Eve. It was a little stressful to find one again before the actual time to call came, but I managed. It was fun to talk to you all. It's crazy how fast time flies, though.

Today was really fun. Sis. Lee and I live in a BRAND NEW apartment and most of the Sisters in the mission haven't seen it yet (it's a small mission---we're into these things, okay?) so we threw a "housewarming party" today and invited all of the sisters in the mission to come (I'm getting more and more relief society-like every day of my mission---weird). It was so much fun! It was really great to see the other missions after being in "seclusion" out here, just the two of us. The best part is that my dear friend, Sis. Hadden (known since day 1 in the MTC---love her so much!) was able to come down from what I call "The Distant North"---a city called Taegu. It was so fun to see her. We ate all kinds of Korean junk food and I, in classic Ogilvie style, made grilled cheese sandwiches for everyone. It was delightful. Then, Sister Hadden, who is quite the gifted storyteller, recounted the first three episodes of BBC's "Doctor Who" for us---classic Oration-style. It was so fun. I'm hooked on the show already :). I'm afraid the show won't be near as good as the original in my head--haha.

Just so no one worries---everything has already been taken care of in regards to the previously mentioned misplaced wallet. Let us just take comfort in the fact that I'm not *quite* as forgetful as Scott is, when it comes to keeping my wallet on my person. (that's a weird phrase---"on my person"---try teaching THAT in an English class). I'd like to say this is the last time this will happen, but honestly, I don't like making promises that are beyond my power to keep :).

In the way of news: this week there will be two p-days....because starting next year our P-day switches to Thursday, rather than Monday. Pres. Jennings didn't want you to go over a week without hearing from us, so Thursday is a half-p-day (ending at 3 PM) and from then on, Monday is a proselyting day. I'm excited because this means that Museums will be open (museums are always closed on Mondays in Korea) as will libraries (no more old ladies staring me down at the post office while I type my letters!!). It'll be good.

I particularly like the little stamp that hotmail places at the bottom of all of your emails "Windows 7--It WORKS"---this is quite a step for Microsoft. I'm proud.

Our "Joint Zone Conference" was amazing. It was on my birthday and it was the best birthday gift ever. I must admit, though, I'm turning into a blubber bucket. Christmas always got me to cry before but this was ridiculous. Hopefully this little supply of extra tears is a result of the humidity and will disappear when I return to drier climates (drier....what a word---dryer?). I much prefer to feel the Spirit without having to force it out my eyes.

Also, Sis. Jennings knit each sister a hat. And all the hats are different. She must have been working on it for months. And the Elders just got ties :). I love my hat, and I will wear it until it smells like death, at which point I will have to call Sis. Jennings and ask her for recommendations on how to launder wool in Korea. Pictures shall come...eventually.

As for now, things are going well. I'm excited for New Years', because it's traditionally such an important holiday here. It's awesome, rather than staying out all night drinking, (which some do now) Koreans go to bed early on New Years Eve and then they wake up super-early and climb a mountain and watch for the "New Sun" the first sunrise of the year. It's super-cold, but it's such a beautiful tradition. We have permission to go with our ward to their little ceremony. It should be nice.

Well, I better let you go. I hope all had a wonderful Christmas. Have a Safe and Happy New Year. You'll hear from me in a few short days!

Much Love,

~Rachel~

No comments:

Post a Comment